Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Episode IV: A New Hope

...and so it begins.

As I wrap up the final hours of my time with the University of Florida as a member of the Housing and Residence Life staff, I look forward to my new adventure in Alumni Affairs. After becoming an RA in the Spring of 1996, I've known nothing but Housing and Residence Life being a part of my life. 2.5 years as an RA... 2 years in a Grad Assistantship in Housing... and a rewarding and wonderful 12 years as a professional in the Housing profession.

I've been honored as an Employee of the Year in my own department. I'm a graduate of ACPA Mid-Level Professionals Institute, as well as the National Housing Training Institute. I became the Associate Director of a 5,000+ bed housing operation at 30 years old. And I had the honor of serving as an ACUHO-I STARS Faculty member.

Tomorrow, I will walk away from all of that. Everything I know. Everything that I considered myself to be good at... I'm walking away from, for an opportunity at something that I think I might be even better at.

For the third time in my life now, I’ve had the pleasure of saying "yes" to the University of Florida. First as a Residence Director in Murphree Hall (later reclassified/promoted to RLC). Second as the Assistant Director of Housing for West Campus (later reclassified/promoted to Associate Director). And now, outside of Student Affairs... I've said yes to the University of Florida Alumni Association. I have no doubt that the third time will begin an incredible journey as well. All three decisions were motivated by the same reason: The University of Florida is where my heart is and the Gator Nation is unlike any other group I've known.

As a staff member and an educator of students, I saw that UF was an amazing place... constantly buzzing with energy and love. Intellectually, it was a place where I could combine my style of education and student engagement, while also creating lifelong change and relationships with amazing students and their families. I also had the opportunity to MYSELF learn from some of the best young minds in the country.


Now, as Director of Broaden Gator Engagement, I will get to see the fruits of my labor from my 10 years as a staff member here and work with the Gator Clubs and Affiliate Groups, creating a mentor/mentee program for alumni to serve future alumni, as well as partnering with the colleges and working to increase membership. This group that I am joining is energetic, inspired, and driven to earn the recognition that the Gator Nation deserves as the #1 Alumni Association in the country. Our promise to our membership is to constantly strive to do and be more, to earn our reputation every day.

 
Over the coming months, I’ll have the opportunity to work with our alumni, faculty, students, and administrators acquaint myself with all that the Alumni Association is; and over time, we’ll continue to see the vision that our group has created brought to life. Along the way, I will reflect on this exploration publicly and will welcome your thoughts and feedback. They can be sent to me at g8rphann@gmail.com, comments on this blog page, or feel free to connect with me on Twitter at: @ScottEFrancisUF.

Friday, I begin my 4th professional job. This new episode... Episode IV, is the sign of a new hope as I officially begin my new role with the Alumni Association. 

Tomorrow, I spend my last day in the office with the folks I've come to love as my friends and extended family. 

I am thrilled about the road ahead and look forward to some great new friendships and some hard, hard work.

All Hail, Florida, Hail.

1 comment: