Monday, July 23, 2012

Day 14: Back to the Future

Monday-Monday-Monday!

So I almost consider this my first full "regular" week in the new job. It's my first Monday that isn't following the Florida Forward event, so i'm not totally exhausted. My supervisor is out of the office for the better part of the week... perfect time to cause some havoc... hahaha.

Penn State went and owned my morning.

As the news broke about the sanctions that their football program will be facing, I thought I'd share some of the stuff that came to mind. I won't go too in depth with this... that's what my other blog is for.
- While I have little sympathy for those at Penn State who didn't say anything, I'm not totally sure how comfortable I am with the NCAA facilitating this. I get the tie in with the football program, even though it had nothing to do with player recruitment, active players, or anything of that sort. Just very different.
- This deduction of 40 scholarships over 4 years and 4 year bowl ban is probably just as bad as a full suspension of the football program, except that by continuing football, all of the people who make their liveliehood from football and the football extracurriculars can still work.
- If we want to start treating football just as sport, and real life like real life... we should probably stop calling the suspension of a football program for a year or two, "the death penalty". Not having football for a year, while terribly disappointing and soul crushing... is not death.
- The $60 million fine, payable over five years really isn't much. It's big numbers, but college football is big business. They probably won't even have to dip a toe in the water of the endowment to cover $12M a year. Especially when some Big Ten schools make some BCS bowl games and share that money.

Anyhow, once I got past Penn State, I got back to getting my week ready. I'm at the stage where people have "heard of me" or "heard that I was coming". Several people have mentioned that they had friends in Student Affairs who said that I was great. I really appreciate that, and hope that I haven't been oversold :)

I ended my day working Preview.

Along with another staff member and our Student Alumni Association members, we had tables at Jennings Hall for preview check-in.

How odd that 2 weeks after I've left housing, I'm in Jennings Hall. It's like attending a party in a house you used to live in (which I also did earlier this year as well). I was struck by how automatic it was for me to try and park somewhere near a side door somewhere that I now, no longer had access too. I reached for my swipe/proximity card at least 10 times in 3 hours.

It was fun. As usual, it was great to be around the students. Both incoming students and the SAA members. The parents are also alot of fun at this stage. Coming to UF with big dreams of what will be.

I beat the buzzer today. The SAA member I was working with had a routine with me. She would explain the student membership and benefits to the student and the parent, and right after, I would ask the parent if they were getting one for themselves as well. Sometimes I'd explain that I didn't got to UF either, and I joined when I lived in the DC Area, etc... After striking from 5:00pm through 7:25pm, I finally got a bite.

I had a couple from Tampa come and say, they wanted to "jump head first into the Gator Nation" and they bought a membership! My first one (unless any of my friends out there have gotten one as a result of me working here now... if so, thank you and let me know if you've done that!!). He filled out his form, paid and we gave him his swag. As he left, i told him, "Welcome to the Tampa Gator Club!". He was too excited.

He was the last one out and we cleaned up. I went back to my Res Life roots and helped take down tables, pop-up tens and boxes. It's in my blood at this point.

Big meeting later this week. Thanks for following.

Go Gators.

No comments:

Post a Comment