My 2nd day is now in the books.
So far, so good. But I'm having to be extremely fogiving of myself to think of it that way.
As someone who is uber vigilant about competency and feeling like I'm doing my part for the team, these early days are difficult for me.
Our team is in the midst of putting together and preparing for this HUGE undertaking with Florida Forward and I'm jumping in, not even a week before the event to start a new profession. For a visual representation of what this feels like: Imagine a relay race in Track and Field. You know how the runner who is about to receive the baton gets a running start and the "stick" is passed just at the right time? Well imagine standing at a dead stop at the line while someone running full speed then hands you a baton.
That's what this is like.
When getting into this, I wondered what "busy season" would be like in place of my housing days of: Jul-August-tember (July-August-September). I think I've found it... and I'm starting in the middle of it.
Anyway, enough violin playing...
Day 2 was good. I got my professional photo taken for the directory/website. Those are always terribly awkward for me, but this was was pretty fun. There is no camera on earth that can produce a photo of me that I say, "YES! I like that one!".
Met with some folks from Hillel in the afternoon to discuss some Fall activities and getting their newly formed JAA group a good start in the upcoming year. The Hillel organization is one of the largest (if not THE largest) in the country at a University. They have been an active group on the University of Florida campus since 1937, but then had a temporary break in service due to the war. The group returned in 1947 and has been in continuous action since then. The new Hillel building (pictured) is about 8 years old. This building has a pretty rich history and some fun stories about how it all came to be. If you're ever in Gainesville and on campus and have a chance to stop by Hillel, you should do so. Very nice people and they have snacks!
Off to Day 3! We're leaving for Miami and Florida Forward on Wednesday night, so there may be a break in the blog during that time... I know... you're so disappointed. I'll be wall to wall running around from Thursday to Sunday, so we'll see.
Thanks for following and as always...
Go Gators!

No comments:
Post a Comment